Turmeric: a super spice for your dog
Who would have thought 4000 years ago in India, when people discovered the magic that turmeric added to their cooking, that it would make its way into our puppers’ meals? It’s hardly surprising though, as this wonderful ingredient not only contains a multitude of nutrients, but it’s also thought to have medicinal properties.
Here’s our top turmeric health benefits:
- Curcumin, an active compound found in turmeric has been shown to offer anti-inflammatory support for dogs suffering from osteoarthritis.
- Turmeric contains high levels of iron, which helps our pups’ bodies make the haemoglobin they need for healthy red blood cells, and plays a role in lots of enzyme functions. Basically, their bodies don’t function without it!
- Choline is a nutrient in turmeric that forms a part of the membrane that surround cells, and is also used to make nerve chemicals that are essential for normal brain function.
- Manganese is a mineral found in turmeric, which plays a part in energy production, helping metabolise protein and carbohydrates, and make fatty acids.
- The role that turmeric is thought to play as a prebiotic is a booming area of research. Investigators are looking at how it may help to feed the ever-important gut microbiome, which is made up of those friendly bacteria that everyone is talking about!
- Turmeric appears to trigger the activation of a process in the body called the Nrf2 pathway. Think of Nrf2 as a protein messenger that helps detect cell damage and then when activated, plays a largely protective role in a number of diseases.
Turmeric is used in our Turkey Bowl, so why not try a Starter Box and see for yourself just how much your dog will love it – after all, Lyka is made for happy healthy puppers!