The power of ginger in your dog’s diet
Often used to add flavour and spice to a range of dishes for humans, did you know that ginger can also be a great addition to your dog’s diet, too In fact, it’s so good that we have added it to our Big Boppin Beef Bowl – a dish that always gets two paws up for deliciousness!
What is ginger?
Ginger is an ancient, spicy, aromatic plant native to Asia that contains gingerol – a bioactive compound that has anti-inflammatory benefits and is full of antioxidants.
How can ginger benefit your pup?
Ginger can be a great ingredient to add to your dog’s diet, providing several health benefits, including:
- Defends cells against free radicals. You’ve heard the term antioxidant, but what does it actually mean? Antioxidants, like those found in ginger, protect cells from free radicals. Free radicals can form in the body or come from external sources such as the environment or foods.
- Curb nausea and improve digestive function. Ginger is often used to aid digestion and regulate blood pressure which can calm the body and settle nausea.
- Help with fluctuance. Ginger is a carminative herb which means it’s great for relieving cramping and expelling gas.
- Acts as a natural anti-inflammatory. Conditions such as arthritis occur due to inflammation of the joints. So, adding an anti-inflammatory to your dog’s diet makes sense. While there are no conclusive studies on the effects of ginger on arthritis in dogs yet, research so far is promising.
- Cancer-fighting properties. Thanks to those anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can help prevent cancer by battling inflammation in the body.
- Immunity boost. Antioxidant rich ginger can be beneficial for strengthening a weak immune system.
Ginger has a whole range of benefits, but it also can thin the blood. If your pupper is on any blood thinning medication, always speak to your vet about the use of ginger in their meals before feeding it to them.
Lyka: serving up superfoods, so your pupper feels super good
Our carefully balanced mix of whole food and superfood ingredients, including ginger, have been formulated by our in-house vet and a team of veterinary nutritionists to make every mealtime both nutritious and delicious. We are proud to source locally where possible, and always use the highest quality ingredients to ensure your pupper is getting all the nutrients they need to live their best, healthiest life. Are you ready to go fresh? It really is best.