Lamb: a vitamin-rich protein source for your dog
Lamb is a great protein source which your dog might not have tried. Aside from keeping mealtimes interesting, lamb contains essential vitamins and minerals for keeping your pup bright eyed and bushy tailed.
If you suspect that your dog has allergies or intolerances to certain proteins, lamb can be a great novel protein choice to try, as they are less likely to have encountered it before compare to other proteins like chicken or beef.
Benefits of lamb
- Lamb contains Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, which is essential for many of your dog’s enzyme systems to work. It is also needed for your pup to produce the amino and nucleic acids they depend on for general wellbeing.
- Zinc is an important trace mineral that protects your dog from infection and helps their wounds heal faster. Zinc is also important to help your dog keep up their shiny coat and healthy skin, so your pup can feel their best inside and out.
- Iron is essential for the formation of the red blood cells and haemoglobin that carry oxygen around the body. Lamb contains heme-iron, which is easier for your pupper’s body to absorb than plant-based, non-heme iron.
- For all dogs great or small, a high protein diet is key to muscle, hair and skin cell development. Quality protein such as lamb is packed with amino acids. Your pup needs 22 of these essential protein building blocks. Their body makes around half, but the rest need to come from what you feed them. Amino acid deficiency can lead to serious health problems over time. For example, deficiency in the amino acid taurine has been linked to canine dilated cardiomyopathy, a disease that impedes the heart’s ability to pump enough blood through the body. Lyka’s lamb recipe contains 55% protein (dry matter), as opposed to the 20-30% protein found in most dry dog foods.
- Part of the B-vitamin family, niacin is crucial for healthy skin, and is involved in energy production to help keep your pup ready for even the longest walks! It supports a lustrous coat that will be the envy of every dog in the neighbourhood.
Get some lamb in pupper’s bowl today
Lamb is a higher in fat than other proteins, so it might be too rich for your pup if they have dietary sensitivities, but it’s a great choice for most dogs. In fact, our lamb recipe is a favourite of many of our pickier pups, with yummy additions like blueberries and coconut!
Head to lyka.com.au to learn more about the fresh ingredients that go into all of our recipes, and build your customised Starter Box today.