Beef liver: a nutrient-packed protein source for your dog
There is nothing better than watching our pups bound around with endless energy. Just like us, a significant part of their energy comes from protein-rich foods. Beef liver is not only a great source of protein, it’s also one of the most nutrient-rich animal foods that you can feed your pup.
Benefits of beef liver:
- A high protein diet is vital for your dog’s muscle, hair and skin cell development. Protein also assists in creating body chemicals like hormones and enzymes that aid in normal cell function. Quality protein such as beef liver, is packed with amino acids – 22 of them to be precise – which your pup needs for optimal nutritional health. Their body makes around half, but the rest need to come from their food. Amino acid deficiency can lead to serious health problems over time. For example, deficiency in the amino acid taurine has been linked to canine dilated cardiomyopathy, a disease that reduces the heart’s ability to pump blood through the body. Lyka’s beef recipe contains 53% protein (dry matter), rather than the 20–30% protein found in most dry dog foods.
- Vitamin B2, also called riboflavin, is crucial for proper enzyme function. Enzymes work to speed up chemical reactions and are involved in pretty much every function of your pupper’s body – from aiding with digestion to facilitating cell metabolism. Riboflavin gives our pups the energy they need to run, jump and enjoy their best active life.
- Beef liver contains Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, which plays an essential part in many of your dog’s enzyme systems. It is also needed for your pup to produce the amino and nucleic acids they depend on for general wellbeing.
- Copper plays an important role in your pup’s enzyme function, protecting their bodies against oxidative damage. It is also involved in iron and energy metabolism, as well as the formation of normal hair colour.
- Vitamin A is responsible for healthy vision and supports your pup’s immunity and cell function. It’s also important for pregnant and lactating dogs, as it’s involved in foetal development and normal puppy development.
Try a starter box today!
You’ll be pleased to know that Lyka’s Grass-Fed Beef Bowl contains just the right amount of beef liver your pup needs to get all these amazing health benefits. Because the liver acts a ‘filter’ in the body, we ensure the proportion of beef liver doesn’t exceed the acceptable range of 5% of your dog’s diet, to safely give them the essential building blocks for a full and healthy life.