Basil: a sweet and powerful herb for dogs
Sweet and aromatic, basil is the quintessential Italian herb – a key ingredient of mouthwatering favourites like Pesto Pasta and Pizza Margherita. But basil isn’t just packed full of flavour, it also provides many health benefits for both us and our pups.
Benefits of basil for your dog:
- Vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting, and is particularly vital if your pup is active and prone to scrapes and scratches.
- Antioxidants are essential for your dog’s health as they work to defend cells from harmful oxidative damage and also reduce inflammation. Basil is high in antioxidants including the immunity-boosting antioxidant beta carotene, which helps prevent disease and infection.
- Basil is also known to increase insulin function in dogs and modulate their blood sugar, which can assist in the prevention or control of diabetes.
- The Vitamin A in basil is essential for healthy vision and supports your pup’s immunity and cell function. It’s also important for pregnant and lactating dogs, assisting in foetal and normal puppy development.
- Magnesium is a key nutrient found in basil. Magnesium plays a role in energy production at a cellular level – so every time your pup moves a muscle, their heart beats, or even when a nerve sends a signal, magnesium helps in the transfer of energy.
Try a Starter Box today!
Let your pup experience the freshness, taste and significant health benefits of basil in our Free-Range Chicken Bowl.
Head to lyka.com.au to learn more about the fresh ingredients that go into all of our recipes and build your customised Starter Box today.